I had the opportunity to attend the Skye Warren Q&A. I believe there weren’t many others on the call, and when she asked if anyone wanted their title evaluated, I jumped.
I sent over the link for Enchanting the Earl. This is the prequel to The Earl’s Error. The prognosis wasn’t great. I thought I was doing well with 1,077 ratings and a ranking in the low 2k on Amazon. However, she had some suggestions I leaped on.
- I needed to remove the prequel from the series.
- in this instance, I decided I will be using the prequel as a reader magnet.
- I ordered a new, advertising-friendly cover that is more in line with my current covers.
- I needed to make The Earl’s Error the series started and put it to “free”.
- I did this, and as of today (Jun 9, 2022) the ranking for The Earl’s Error has gone from 300,000 on Amz to 514 on Amazon’s overall list. This with minimal advertising.
- This is the hardest thing to do due to current momentum:
- turn off the advertising on Facebook
- turn off the advertising on Amazon ads
But per Skye, this series is not doing as well as it could be doing. And, that is the goal, right?
So, I will keep you and myself posted, as we go.
This is the June-to-date graph. For note purposes, I set The Earl’s Error free on June 7 late in the afternoon. I also created a FB ad campaign at $10/per day. As this book is free, my royalties will come from the sales of the other books in the series: The Marquis’s Misstep, The 7th Son, The Viscount’s Vendetta, and The Duke’s Detour. Those books are not included in this graph.
Diana, one of the key things in the FB ads is testing. Test images against one another, then test copy. We can talk later on how to do this if you want.
The original ads were aimed at Enchanting the Earl (ETE), the prequel. But I’d been running them for over a year. Now that I’ve removed ETE from the series, I can’t point them to a link that no longer exists. 🙂
Thanks for sharing, Kathy. I’ll give that FB ad campaign a try. Why did you turn the ad off?
This was helpful! Thank you! And I think you’re doing fantastic! I loved The Earl’s Error!
Thanks for sharing, Kathy!
Plus the prequel is only 24k, The Earl’s Error is a full-fledged novel.
She said that a prequel to a couple does not imply an HEA and doesn’t normally do as well. The prequel shows how they met. The Earl’s Error is set ten years later. So I’m going to use the prequel as a reader magnet for my newsletter as soon as I can figure out how to set it up. 🙂
Thanks for sharing, Kathy! Why did she suggest removing the prequel? Couldn’t it have been used as the free book 1? Or is that because you needed a reader magnet?
Best of luck with sales! I’ll be interested to see how it goes.